I had the honour of representing Broxtowe at this years Labour Party conference. The party announced a number of game changing policies to benefit the many and not few. The most ground breaking of these in my opinion was to work towards a path to net zero carbon emissions by 2030, implementing this target into law. This is an ambitious target that is necessary to limit climate change and its disastrous consequences for life on earth.
How are we going to achieve this target?
- Introduce a complete ban on fracking.
- Take transport into public ownership and invest in free or affordable green public transport that connects Britain.
- Large-scale investment in renewables and low-carbon energy.
- A radical programme to up skill the UK workforce to develop, manufacture and manage the greening of the UK.
- Building and retrofitting of zero-carbon social and council housing, public buildings.
- Work collaboratively with farmers to eliminate pollution and greenhouse gas emissions from the agricultural sector.
- Implement a programme of ecological restoration to increase biodiversity and natural carbon sequestration.
This must be a just transition so the Labour Party:
- Will ensure the costs of decarbonisation are borne by the wealthiest.
- Tackle fuel poverty and assure everyone’s basic rights through the provision of universal services.
- Address regional economic imbalances and areas of deprivation.
This is not just an issue for the UK so an internationalist Labour government will:
- Measure and tackle consumption emissions, not just those produced on UK soil.
- Press for heavy UN penalties on “ecocide” damage to climate-sensitive habitats internationally.
- Support developing countries’ climate transitions through free or cheap transfers of finance, technology and capacity.
- Welcome climate refugees while taking measures against the displacement of peoples from their homes.
- Promote the international exchange of technology, expertise, products, resources and services.
By Joseph Baxter
Greg Marshall Broxtowe Labour’s parliamentary candidate “great to discuss Labour’s Green New Deal and how #Broxtowe can be at the heart of our Green Industrial Revolution”