A Strong Local Economy
- Labour will invest in our town centres and protect them from continued growth of out of town retail parks.
- We will bring back shop front improvement grants to encourage new businesses.
- A Labour Council work with the new business rates system to develop rates that are locally responsive meaning businesses can flourish.
- We aim to maximise the benefits from HS2 across the Borough through ensuring Broxtowe is at the centre of an East Midlands regeneration hub underpinned by manufacturing investment.
- Labour plan to develop Bennerley Sidings as a rail freight interchange and potential maintenance depot, linked to HS2.
- We support the extension of the tram through to Kimberley and Eastwood.
- We will positively promote our cultural heritage.
- As a Labour Council we want to enhance the visitors experience in Eastwood and other parts of Broxtowe to attract tourism.
- We support the development of Beeston Phase 2
- Labour will get Broxtowe building again. We will provide new, affordable homes in carefully planned locations and especially for younger people.
- Older people deserve to live with dignity and respect. We will invest in building new properties dedicated to caring for people with dementia and disabilities.
- A Labour Council will fully support retirement officers. The Tories in Broxtowe have tried to cut our ‘retirement living’ officers. We will protect these vital jobs, ensuring that people visit our older and most vulnerable residents to ensure they are properly looked after.
- We will provide a housing service that supports residents to stay in their own homes, offers tenants timely repairs, and is responsive to local needs.
Leisure and Our Environment
- Leisure Services will be brought back under better democratic control. Under the Tories these services have fallen into disrepair, with many of the much-needed capital investment projects simply listed as ‘awaiting funding’.
- Labour will invest in parks and open spaces, and better access to our wonderful countryside.
- We plan to introduce wildlife corridors in our strategic developments.
- We will use the voice of a Labour led Council to campaign against fracking and open cast mining in Broxtowe.
- We will invest in improving recycling rates.
- Together with the police, Labour will set up local forms to specifically to deal with crime in every community.
- We will reinstate a dedicated domestic violence support officer for the Borough.
- We will invest in a programme of education and direct action to support young people involved with drugs and Anti-social behaviour.
- We will enhance support for families suffering from Anti-social behaviour
- We will help to try and ensure our estates are clean, well maintained and free of crime
Support for Our Residents
- Working with local charities and organisations we will help residents struggling to cope with the effects of Universal Credit.
- A Labour Council will work closely with credit unions to promote affordable finance to local residents.
- We will bring back payment facilities and information centres in each of our major town centres.
- With Labour there will be no compulsory Council redundancies or further cuts to jobs and services.